Thursday, November 15, 2007

epiphany!

I realized not two minutes ago that nothing offends me more than bad comedy. It gets under my skin and infuriates me to the point where I feel rage thinking and talking about it. Bad comedy is quite different from stupid comedy. Stupid comedy, say the Farelly brothers, can be funny (There's Something About Mary more so than Stuck on You). Bad comedy on the other hand is insulting. It's offensive because it treats the audience as if we have the collective intelligence of desiccated coconut. To me, bad comedy is essentially lazy comedy. Lazy gags, lazy writing and with very little execution. Bad, bad, bad, terrible. Is it no surprise then that a lot of bad comedy is made up of un-clever stereotypes? Oh, you mean you like pizza, have a thick moustache, and is always horny? You must be Italian! Let's make you female just to really drive the point home!

Jesus.

Trivia: The only two movies I've ever turned off in my life are National Lampoon's: Van Wilder and Employee of the Month.

FACT: A comedy is going to be terrible if it has Ryan Reynolds playing Ryan Reynolds. True story.