Monday, October 17, 2005

4 movies in 2 days

1. Night Watch

Holy cow. The movie pretty much lived up to the trailer. High-octane action movie that had a pretty solid story-line to it. Or at least it was thicker than Nicole Richie's waist line. Hmmm. The story goes like this. The opposing forces, the Dark and the Light (Wonder why it's always that. Never the Bald and the Hairy or the Donut and the Bagel. Huh.) have been waging a war since centuries ago. In that first war, the Dark and the Light leader realized that they were evenly matched and had they keep fighting, they would have wiped each other out, so they made a truce. No party is allowed to force a human onto their side. The humans will have to make their own choice. Also, the Dark forces will keep watch during the day time to make sure that no party is abusing the truce and vice versa. To keep the Balance. The Dark forces who patrol in the day are called, Day Watch and the Light, Night Watch. Now see, the are Others as well, who are humans who have been endowed with supernatural powers. Oh no... I'm screwing up the story. Gahhh. My sucki-ness in summarizing things is at work again.

Anyways, the story follows Anton, a Night Watch patroller who plays a crucial role in the Balance. Gahhh. I'll stop ruining it. It's the first part of a trilogy. And the second one is slated for release in 2006. I'm so there. There's a lot of comparisons drawn with The Matrix, Terminator, Star Wars and Constantine cause this story is so well-crafted it's become an epic by it's own. Now that there's no more LOtR or Star Wars to look forward to, this is gonna be a replacement for it. A pretty alright replacement too.

Likes: I think the characters were played quite well. And the whole tone and the mood of the movie was pretty freaking cool. The first part of the story was wrapped up but still leaving tons of intrigue to keep your interest for the subsequent chapters.

Dislikes: The fact that I can't remember the names of the characters. I blame it on my denseness.


2. Pride and Prejudice

I've only read half of the book. And I struggled against sleep to read that half. Austen's not my kind of thing. My kind of thing being staying awake that is. Therefore, not being a purist, I was able to watch the movie and quite enjoy it. (On IMDb, there were a couple of psycho purists nitpicking over Mr Darcy's portrayal. Jeez.) Top notch cinematography created a romantic, lush scenery that well-suited the movie. From what I remember reading though, Mr Bennet wasn't quite so submissive. The actor who played Mr Wickam... Lol. It's like they couldn't get Orlando Bloom and got the next best thing. Hee hee hee. You'll know what I mean when you watch it. Hmmm.. I'm quite a fan of Jena Malone, and I thought she was underutilized. Rosamund Pike has got Bambi eyes. Mr Bingley... so cute. Matthew MacFadyen (Mr Darcy), I'm guessing is gonna be the next big heartthrob.

Likes: The subtlety written for the Darcy/Elizabeth relationship. The fact that there's such controlled contact adds to the 'Awwwww' factor. Will guys hate it? Not if he is able to appreciate relatively witty dialogue.

Dislikes: Mr Bennet. I could have sworn he had a more active relationship with his daughters, especially Elizabeth. But then I might have been so dead bored with the book that I fell asleep and dreamed that.


3. The Wedding Crashers

Blahhhh. Rachel McAdams is quite pretty in a Pretty-but-won't-remember-what-she-looks-like-on-the-street way. And just how tall is Vince Vaughn? He towered over everyone in the movie. EVERYONE. But I realize that he's soooo much better in comedies than dramas. I mean, remember him in the Psycho remake? Exactly. Me neither.

Likes: Will Tippin, the Alias dude. He's such a pretty boy but yeah well. So is Mr Sark. It's such a stereotypical character though. Ahhhhh. What I like. When Owen Wilson is all depressed at home, he's answering machine message is just gold. "Helllllo.. Whatever." And the song at the end credits, The Weakerthans 'Aside'. Good stuff.

Dislikes: Will Ferrell. Can't stand him. Even as an extra. No no no. And some the humour was just random and not funny. Like with the horny mom. Wtf was that about?


4. The Dukes of Hazzard

Bad, bad, bad. The movie sucked ass. And I'm not even going to start on Jessica Simpson's tan. Maybe the series was infinitely better. Who knows? I don't. Gahhh. Bad. I briefly wondered if I should try biting my tongue off (Maddox's 'manly' way to commit suicide) but then I dropped the idea after small pressure was applied. I'm a wuss.

Likes: Seann William Scott and Johnny Knoxville. But even they couldn't save the show.

Dislikes: Everything. I can't start. I don't have enough time.

Hey... 'Boomkat' is pretty good. What kinda name is Kellin anyway? Kellin and Taryn Manning. Huh.