Monday, November 28, 2005

Tim Canterbury

aka Martin Freeman in The Office, Series 2, Episode 3, Bullseye.

Tim: No, I don't talk about my love life for a very good reason, and that reason is I don't have one. Which is very good news for the ladies- I am still available. I'm a heck of a catch , cos, er, well look at it. I live in Slough, in a lovely house, with my parents. I have my own room, which I've had since, yeap, since I was born. That's seen a lot of action I tell you. Mainly dusting. I went to university for a year as well, before I dropped out, so I'm a quitter. So, er, form an orderly queue ladies.

Water was coming out of my nose by the time he was done. I made the mistake of taking a huge gulp of water. Elegance personified.

It is 8.51 am. This whole waking-early thing is pissing me off. I should just go watch more Gilmore Girls'. Although... I'm starting to hear 'la la las' whereever I am. Be it at work, or sitting at home, or just walking down the street. Possibly a case of Gilmore Girls' overload?

Anyhow, The Office needs to be longer. It's so freaking amusing. In fact, I found the second series more hilarious than the first. Though, it's recommended you watch the first series to understand a lot of the in-side jokes. Just six episodes in one series and Stephen Merchant and Ricky Gervais managed to pull off a story with rich sub-plots involving office romance, office pranks, and lots of general wit. How did they do it?

Right. Review of Kiss Kiss Bang Bang. Robert Downey Jr., when not in court or rehab for drug offences, proves that he is a comic force to reckon with. Spot-on delivery in a film that will probably be 2005's most quotable movie. The writing is almost flawless. The laughs come consistently through out the movie, mostly through lines than gags. Some harder than others. And even in the midst of gasping for breath, you'll be wanting to quiet down to hear the next line. Val Kilmer... I've only seen The Saint to compare (I maintain that I lack the testosterone needed to sit through Top Gun). But overall, Kilmer pulled his role-a gay PI, off convincingly. Yeap, you read right. A gay PI. Pretty impressive stuff too. My only problem was the ending. For a movie that was gold 7/8 out of the 100+ minutes, the ending seemed rushed. Maybe the problem lies in Hollywood's need to wrap things up neatly with a crisp bow.

Tais Toi!, that French flick with the godfather of French movies, Gerard Depardieu, and Jean Reno, which had similar themes, ended on a perfect note because it ended in the middle of a scene. There was no solid conclusion and there's no ultimate rule that states the bad guy ends up in jail. Had Kiss Kiss Bang Bang ended on that note, I probably would have added that movie to my list. Anyhow I'd definitely recommend it to anyone nonetheless. The writing is superb. And you probably won't have a problem with the ending. I'm just being nit-picky.

Veronica Mars in 10 hours. Wheeeeeeeeeeee! Good lord, I better get sleeping now. I'd kick myself if I fall asleep at 6 pm. Like I did yesterday.