Friday, June 02, 2006

"You should have stayed in school" .... "You never should have left."

And that my friends, is the corniest line of May 2006, courtesy of the fantastic screenwriters who brought you X3: The Last Stand (HAHA! If you bought this for an entire second, you are a sucker and a fidiot, Hollywood's favourite consumer!). I watched it twice and the second viewing only made me more aware of the stilted dialogue, the even more stilted acting (save for Kelsey Grammar, Ian McKellan and Hugh Jackman), and how if we lived in the middle ages Brett Ratner will be set upon by the viewing public and pretty much be stoned to a bloody, gory, but ultimately deserving death. Yup, pretty much. On the bright side, that's me - an optimist till the end, I caught the extra bit after the credits rolled in my second viewing. Plus, it was kinda kewl to see Iceman's final manifestation.

"I'm the Juggernaut, bitch!"

I love me some Vinnie Jones, but seriously how under-utilized was he? While his delivery of that line was pretty spot on, I can imagine a lesser actor 'menacing hard-ass baddie' revealing that line for what it's all worth: corn soup with corn-on-the-cob bits and a side of corn bread. I know, I know.. too much. My bad.

And did Brett Ratner take on this project with the aim to piss off as many people as he possibly can? Maybe he had a death wish. I mean, pissing off comic-book, sci-fi, fantasy, Terry Pratchet lovin' geeks! He shall be subjected to many a Vulcan death ray, I think. Or maybe there is some truth behind the "Brett Ratner is the worst director in the world" theory going around the Internet. It's like the Terminator trilogy all over again: "What? There was a third movie? Oh no, they didn't!"

Lately I've found myself wishing on more than one occasion that I'm in the midst of angsty throes of romantic failure. Mainly because then I'd have a flimsy but legitimate reason to listen to 'Punk' princess, Avril Lavigne. I can't help it. She speaks to the rhythm of my soul. Ermmm, right. Mainly because the songs that have been on constant repeat on my iTunes are of the 'oh-my-achey-breakey-heart' type.

Karen's Mix Tape of Endless Desolution; All Round Fitting for One Break-up
1. Bob Dylan - Most of the Time
2. Cary Brothers - Something
3. Citizen Cope - Sideways
4. Joseph Arthur - In the Sun
5. Joshua Radin - Closer
6. Matt Pond PA - New Hampshire
7. Pete Yorn - Just Another
8. Powderfinger - Love Your Way
9. Rachel Yamagata - Be be your love
10. Red House Painters - Have You Forgotten
11. Rhett Miller - Come Around
12. Snow Patrol - Open Your Eyes
13. Aimee Mann - Save Me

But then I swing between extremes and at the end of the other spectrum lies-

Karen's Mix Tape of Happy Sha-la-la Moments, Karaoke Y'all Now!
1. Arctic Monkeys - Love Machine
2. Badly Drawn Boy - Once Around the Block
3. Beach Boys - Barbara Ann
4. The Go! Team - Huddle Formation
5. The Go! Team - Ladyflash
6. Clap Your Hands Say Yeah! - Over and Over Again (Lost and Found)
7. The Boy Least Likely To - Be Gentle With Me
8. Mike Doughty - I Hear The Bells
9. Cary Brothers -Waiting For Your Letter
10. Shout Out Louds - Please Please Please
11. The Futureheads//Kate Bush - Hounds of Love
12. The Futureheads - Meantime
13. Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights

On Tuesday, I unleased my shopaholic within and came back with $600+ worth of purchases. I feel this is very apt moment to insert a :(. On the plus side, I came back with my Pentax Optio 750Z camera which I love love love. Cue a :). It's everything and more that I thought it would be. Bring in a <3. Plus I got it on discount! I got it for AUD$ 450, 10% the original retail price and today I check out the Malaysian retail price and it's selling for RM 2,399; which means that I saved over a thousand ringgit getting it here. Hence, the <<<<33333 :D! I kind of went a little trigger happy and as a result poor Spags had to endure being the subject of some of my shots plus one really short horror movie that ended even before it even began. It would have been awesome, Ad.

Huh. I tend to create nicknames for friends, don't I? Adeline = Ad --> Addie --> Addie Spaghetti --> Spags. Dude, I've got you down for 'Ad Spags' on my phone. I also have got a 'Twitchy WA (Walking Accident)' down for a guy who's simply christened David by his parents. At one point, Charmie-Charm-Charm aka BakerWoman aka Chairman and I knew a 'Batman and Robin'. And Snakes? That's really mi amiga, Sammy Snakes, who once was Sammy, and who normally goes by Sam.

That is kinda strange.