Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Some things to think about

1. This year the weekend my birthday landed on was completely shithouse. I was in a funk I couldn't break out of and as a result, I acted like a right cunt towards friends who were being so absolutely kind and fantastic. If you're reading this, you know who you are. I am sorry. I'm a terrible bastard.

2. Thanks to good friends and long conversations, I got back to my usual level of not-quite-such-a-douche. If you're reading this, you also know who you are. Thank you for putting up with me.

3. Then while cleaning my house because all that was clean was a 1 m strip of carpet, I came across a bulging envelope. Inside were letters and cards from friends that were sent when I was away. Previous birthday cards, holiday cards, post cards, innocuous letters and snail mail - what a treat. Thank you to everyone who's contributed to that pile. You probably forgot, but if you're wondering if that includes you, odds are, it probably does.

4. It's strange explaining to people who don't celebrate what Chinese New Year is all about. I don't pretend to know the actual meaning behind it - family, food and gambling, no? Even weirder is being constantly reminded that the city will in fact not go into shut down. So the local sundry shop WILL be open? Lies. What a mind trip.

5. I think The Darjeeling Limited is Wes Anderson's best work.

6. In my weekend of self-inflicted funk-itude, I watched all 5 Harry Potter movies. These are some things I learned:
- Daniel Radcliffe does his best work in the presence of Gary Oldman
- Redhead Grint has had very the best comedic timing since the first movie.
- #1 and #2 are virtually unwatchable, in no part because the kids are young and the direction is pretty unfulfilling.
- #3 is the best of the lot.
- This is closely followed by #5.
- Helena Bonham Carter is a goddess.
- Daniel Radcliffe is pretty damn spunky.

7. The nose is one of the worst places on the entire body to get an itch. Not enough skin and too much angles equates to much unsatisfactory scratching.

8. The soundtrack to Across The Universe is almost sublime. I could have done without 'Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds' and would have much preferred Jim Sturgess' 'All You Need is Love'. Nonetheless, 'I Want to Hold Your Hand' and 'Strawberry Fields Forever' are legendary.

9. Christ! Wikipedia says that there is a deluxe edition of the Across The Universe OST roaming around somewhere with addition of said song above. Guess we're back to hunting record stores.

10. I've been following the US Presidential Nomination campaign quite closely. It's rather interesting how in both parties (Democrats especially), the nom is relatively wide open for grabs. Very interesting indeed.