Thursday, March 20, 2008

Hello, world!

From Pajiba's 'What's in a Ringtone?' comment diversion today. The question was what was your ringtone and why.

"*Deep Breath* Soulja Boy. An uninspired piece summer garbage? Yes. Catchy? Undeniably. However, there is a story behind it. In my Speech and Communications 101 class, we were told to do a demonstrative speech. In this, right after the summer of the Soulja Boy blitz, I was inspired to demonstrate to the class how to do the dance. After a few weeks of studying every move, I was ready. And so I, the quiet, nerdy-enough-to-know-Pajiba kid stood up and danced my lily-white ass off. If it was a movie I would've gotten a date with Molly Ringwald and probably knocked out the captain of the football team. As it is, I was widely known as Soulja Boy for the rest of the semester. (Is that a good thing?)

Posted by: TyranThesaurus Rex at March 19, 2008 3:13 PM


Things to love about this response
1. That this TTRex dude would even admit to Soulja Boy being his ringtone.
2. That he studied the moves!
3. That a (self-described) quiet nerdy kid would be inspired to 'crank dat' in front of the class.
4. That he used Molly Ringwald as the fictional hot chick and not someone like Megan Fox instead.
5. What's not to love about Superman-ning that ho?

"My phone now has the old-school vibrating/normal phone ring combo going on after my friend told me the most horrific story a couple of weeks ago about why you should never have a song as a ringtone.

Her father collapsed at her sister's rehearsal dinner the night before the wedding, and as he's in the hospital - possibly dying, possibly already dead - they're in the waiting room having a prayer circle with all the members of her family and their preacher, when her phone goes off....the siren call of of Snoop Dogg's "Sexual Seduction" filling the room.

Posted by: feramones at March 19, 2008 3:26 PM


Oh dear!

I obviously picked up a new html code and am now showing it off.


For your stalking purposes my ringtone is an mp3 file of Guns 'N' Roses, Paradise City. Before that it was an mp3 of Sneaker Pimps', Six Underground and way before before, it was the theme song of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Prior to that it was your standard ring-ring-ring tone.


My wake up alarm is Daft Punk's, One More Time.

Since I've started using phones, I have used a Nokia 8210, a Samsung ?, an LG U8210 and a Sony Ericsson k610i. The Nokia has been my favourite, but the Sony Ericsson is pretty bad ass too. By far, the worst has been the LG. That phone has scarred me off using any further LG products.


---


Completely unrelated but I really like this post by Sarah Schneider, writer extraordinaire of College Humor. She talks about quantifying her love for music.


"...it’s the feeling that washes over you and completely consumes all your senses when you hear a track that moves you. When you hear a song that sparks a memory so intense that the nostalgia is overwhelming. Or when a song fits your current place in life so profoundly that its very presence in your world brings a clarity and perspective otherwise lost. That is what I think it means to love music..."

I can only wish to be that articulate in my next life.